Thursday, June 6, 2013

Eureka!

I had a post that I have been working on for the lat hour and I lost it. So frustrating! 

I'm excited to announce that I have decided on a topic to focus my blog on! I  want to write about my journey toward living a minimalists lifestyle. To me, living minimally means getting by with less stuff. As little as you can possible use and still get by. Examples: Carpooling because its cheaper and better for me and the environment, cooking with the season, growing my own veggies. Becoming more crafty and resourceful. And toning down the inner voice that says "ooh pretty, I want that!"

If you're wondering how I got here, it was through God. First, let me explain my relationship with Him a little bit. I've never been very religious, I didn't go to church growing up, unless it was a Holiday. But there has always been something speaking to me and working through me. I believe in something bigger than myself and the power of the energy you put out. Recently I have officially decided to call this God and I am learning to cherish my relationship with Him! (It feels very unorthodox to me.) 

I have been working steadily for the past 5 ish years trying to get to a place where I could start my own family. Outside of your average financial burdens that kept popping up, I thought my goal was to eventually get to a place where I make more money, and therefore can afford more. 

Pursue college degree: fail.
Switch jobs trying to increase income: fail. (Well, truthfully I have increased the $1 amount but with that it seems the amount I think I need has increased too.)

Long story short, I was wrong. I get a very strong feeling that it is one of my life's purposes to figure out how to live with less and manage what I have. 

There are a dozen or more blogs out there about the same thing, but this is my  journey. 

I have a book called Tao Te Ching. Its a philosophical book by a man named Lao Tzu. I haven't gotten through the whole book but my favorite quote goes something like this, 
"Be content with what you have, rejoice in the way things are..."

Here are a few steps I'm taking:

1. Buy less, purge more. Pretty simple idea, not so simple application. I donate my stuff all the time - and I throw a good deal of it out, too. But like any girl, I love to shop! 

2. Increase resourcefulness. Pinterest helps hugely with this! My goal is to work within my means and increase creativity so I can take what I have and multiply their uses. My own way of turning water into wine ;)

3. Retrain your brain. Kind of like a sequel to number 1. I know I don't need it, but I want it & I worked hard for this money. Sound familiar? I think it's a nasty habit I've gotten into - justifying my spending habits. Truth is, I don't need that pair of flats. Even though they're cute, and on sale, the reality of it is they won't matter in 5 years. (I won't even allow myself to go into Target anymore because its literally impossible to walk out empty handed.) 

So here's to my journey, I hope you enjoy reading about it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment