Monday, November 22, 2010

Tornado Alley

My mom just called, 'You need to go to the basement. Tornado's have touched down in Lake Geneva.' I replied 'Ok, love you' and giggled as I hung up the phone.

No way! I'm not sitting in the basement, I live for this kind of stuff - the adrenaline makes me giddy with excitement. I wish Tyler and I were still together, I could totally see the both of us hopping into a car to chase this crazy storm down.

I've always been a storm-loving-gal, I remember a crazy storm when I was 5 or 6, we lived in the 'yellow house' in Westmont. I was glued to the bay window watching as our garbage can flew down our driveway toward our neighbor's house. I can still hear the voice of my babysitter telling me to get in the basement before I end up blowing away like the garbage can. After sitting in the basement storm after storm, and nothing more exciting happening than the power going out - I decided it's a lot more fun to sit upstairs and watch it all unravel. Lightening is stunning, the sound of pouring rain drops soothes the soul, and wind can become so powerful in the blink of an eye. Storms have the power to dismantle a home in seconds or throw a 2 ton vehicle like it's nothing. Yes, they're powerful and dangerous, but they're also breathtaking.

I think it's exhilarating to be able to see, first hand, the power of Mother Nature. I'm sure one day I'll get a little too close for comfort but until then, I'll sit on the edge and watch.

p.s.
The sunset after this storm today was phenomenal and the damage was minimal. Everyone is safe and sound, but south west of me a large, black cloud is rolling in.

Excuse me while I grab the popcorn and watch this one unravel.

No comments:

Post a Comment