Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Le tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours

Ok, you caught me. No, I don't really know french - but according to Wikipedia it means 'Around the World in Eighty Days' and it just so happens, today, I feel like writing about traveling. :)

I really want to visit Sweden. I can't recall when I decided that's where I really wanted to go, exactly. I think it was during one  "The Golden Girls" marathon or another, when Rose was supposedly speaking Swedish, that I thought, "I really need to go there and see what they're all about." I mean, just take a look at that scenery! Breathtaking. I also think the heritage intrigues me - some part of me believes I'm descendant of a Swede. (Look I fit in all ready!) I've read that they have less wars and live longer and happier lives than we do - they must have something figured out - maybe a calmer lifestyle? I'm all in for that. Honestly, though, I enjoy the outdoors greatly and I love national parks with character, point and case Abisko National Park.
For awhile I wanted to move there and raise little Swedish babies (like Swedish fish, only cuter), but somewhere along the line I heard that they don't allow immigration, so, there goes that idea.

I also would love to travel the US some more, I'd like to see Alaska and Alabama to New Orleans and North Carolina, but I'm dreaming big here people!

I think the one place I have to go to before I die is Ireland. No, I'm not really Irish, (even though my pale skin and freckles may throw you off). However, I really enjoy the color green and the scenery, alone, from 'P.S. I Love You' was enough to convince me. I'd like to visit the Blarney Castle/Stone - that has to be every little girls fantasy. You mean, they have real castles?! Sold. I also have a slight obsession with pubs and from what I've seen/heard/read, Ireland has some pretty swanky pubs. I could get into the whole futbol, 'Green Street Hooligans' thing.

The place I've always dreamed of going, but never really believed I set foot in, Italy. Good God, look at the history there! Ok, ok I'm not that big on history - the real reason I want to go? The food. I think that's one thing on everyones (well, anyone who likes to EAT) bucket list. We've all had our little love affairs with Italian food. Fresh fish, bruschetta, pasta, a good red wine, heck I'm sold on anything BASIL! It's definitely a dream of mine .. but until that day I'll just pretend I'm Italian when I cook in the kitchen.

I think it's important to travel, or to at least have the desire to. And, no, I don't mean to Disney World or Hollywood (although, you should see those places too!) - I mean see the world. We live on an amazing, breathtaking planet! Filled with different cultures, foods, music and philosophy's and practices, it's slightly arrogant to sit in one place and think we've got it all figured out. Traveling gives you a sense of humility and it opens your mind a little bit.

We could all use a little mind opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment